Halloween night is quickly arriving. This means children and families will be out trick or treating. The Sea Girt Police Department would like to remind families of the curfew which will be in place on October 30th, 2011 and October 31st, 2011. For the safety of all residents and Halloween trick or treaters , the following curfews will be enacted:
From 8:00pm Sunday, October 30th, 2011 through 7:00am Monday, October 31st, 2011
From 9:00pm Monday, October 31, 2001 through 7:00am Tuesday, October 31st, 2011
Any person who is under the age of 17 and who is not accompanied by an adult is affected by this curfew.
Patrolman Melendez would like to remind all residents of the following Halloween safety tips:
- Walk, slither, and sneak on sidewalks, not in the street.
- Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars, trucks, and low-flying brooms.
- Cross the street only at comers.
- Don’t hide or cross the street between parked cars.
- Wear light-colored or reflective-type clothing so you are more visible. (And remember to put reflective tape on bikes, skateboards, and brooms, too!)
- Plan your route and share it with your family. If possible, have an adult go with you.
- Carry a flashlight to light your way.
- Keep away from open fires and candles. (Costumes can be extremely flammable.)
- Visit homes that have the porch light on.
- Accept your treats at the door and never go into a stranger’s house.
- Use face paint rather than masks or things that will cover your eyes.
- Be cautious of animals and strangers.
- Have a grown-up inspect your treats before eating. And don’t eat candy if the package is already opened. Small, hard pieces of candy are a choking hazard for young children.
Please have a happy and safe Halloween.
From the Sea Girt Police Department.